On the eve of the launch of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), this event is designed to bring together capital market leaders to discuss the role they can play in supporting the achievement of these goals.
The SDGs will shape and focus the global agenda for the next 15 years. The world’s leaders have committed to achieving these ambitious goals, but their achievement will not be possible without concerted efforts from the private sector and new policy frameworks to support responsible investment in sustainable development.
Covering a broad range of environmental and social targets, the SDGs will require the support of all members of society, from governments and public officials to companies and private sector leaders. Stock exchanges and capital market participants have a critical role to play in making this agenda a reality.
This high-level dialogue included CEOs from SSE Partner Exchanges, institutional investors and listed companies, joining public policy leaders from international organizations and national governments. All participants had an opportunity to speak and engage with their peers on the critical question of how markets can support sustainable development.
The SSE Leaders Luncheon helped to set the agenda for how capital market actors can support the SDGs in the coming years. From sustainability reporting and mobilizing finance to gender equality and global partnerships, stock markets have an important role to play in promoting good corporate practices and facilitating investment in sustainable development.
Key questions addressed at this SSE Dialogue included:
- What role can stock exchanges, regulators and investors play to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals?
- What are the main challenges and opportunities for promoting sustainable development through capital markets?
- What next steps can be taken by policy makers, regulators, investors, companies and exchanges collectively? What are the key roles for each actor?
- What regional and national policy options are available to reinforce existing best practices?
Welcome Address & Opening Remarks by
Thematic Overview by
High-Level Policy Dialogue
Closing Bell at the New York Stock Exchange
Pictures from the SSE Leaders Luncheon
- Africa: UNEP Executive Director Discusses Sustainable Stock Exchanges With Finance Leaders, via AllAfrica
- Colombo Stock Exchange to transform into a sustainable stock exchange, via Lanka Business Online
- CSE joins UN SSE Initiative via Daily News
- CSR joins UN initiative on sustainable stock exchanges via the Sunday Times
- Rwanda bourse joins new UN stock market initiative, via RwandaEye
- Sri Lanka’s Colombo Stock Exchange joins UN SSE Initiative via Colombo Page News
- Sri Lanka joins UN sustainable stock exchanges initiative via Economy Next
Hosted By New York Stock Exchange
Intercontinental Exchange (NYSE:ICE) operates the leading network of regulated exchanges and clearing houses. ICE’s futures exchanges and clearing houses serve global commodity and financial markets, providing risk management and capital efficiency. The New York Stock Exchange is the world leader in capital raising and equities trading.
The Sustainable Stock Exchanges Initiative
The UN SSE initiative is co-organised by UNCTAD, the UN Global Compact, the UN-supported Principles for Responsible Investment and the UNEP Finance Initiative. Launched in 2009 by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the SSE initiative is a peer-to-peer learning platform for exploring how exchanges (in collaboration with policymakers, regulators, investors and companies) can promote responsible investment for sustainable development. Stock exchanges around the world are invited to join the initiative by signing a voluntary public commitment to promote sustainable business practices in their market.