National Stock Exchange of India (NSE)
Number of listed companies
Domestic market capitalization
2,379,901 million US$
SSE Partner Exchange
Has annual sustainability report
Requires ESG reporting as a listing rule
- However it is dependent on size of company. Click here for latest guidelines (released by SEBI).
Has written guidance on ESG reporting
- Since 2014, NSE has engaged with listed companies to ensure compliance to business responsibility reporting.
NSE will launch their own guidance on ESG reporting in Q3 2017
Corporate Governance: An Emerging Scenario. Source: Table, Report
- NSE-IIM Bangalore Corporate Governance Research Initiative
Sustainability-related policies in 'Corporate Sustainability Initiatives Reporting' document found here.
Offers ESG related training
- NSE offers a Training Workshop on Business Responsibility Reporting (BRR) which is provided by the Centre for Institutional Partnerships and Corporate Communications. This workshop is focused on encouraging companies to adopt the comprehensive principles relating to social, environmental and economic responsibility of business as part of their business practices, and understand the importance of Business Responsibility Reporting for the various initiatives taken by them.
- This includes several initiatives, such as the capacity development efforts in collaboration with NSE Academy Limited; the roll out of an E-Tool for Business Responsibility Reporting; updating of the National Voluntary Guidelines and organizing the annual India Business Responsibility Conclave, are some of the key initiatives which being planned by the Centre. See more here.
- NSE also offers a Women Director Training Program- The program was designed to provide (a) an overview of the knowledge and competencies that are expected from the present day director (b) understanding the way the board operates and the responsibility to be discharged and the various skill and attitude required in discharging the responsibility.
Has sustainability-related indices
- Nifty100 ESG Index
- Nifty100 Enhanced ESG Index
- S&P ESG India Index
Has sustainability bond listing segment
- NSE has also various initiatives to promote this product, including:
Creating awareness on green bond issuance by circulating SEBI guidelines on green bonds to the existing unlisted as well as upcoming issuers; informing issuers about the SEBI guidelines for classifying their bonds as green bonds; and meeting with arrangers and merchant bankers to discuss upcoming green bond issuance and how the exchange can be of support to them.
- Advocacy with domestic financial institutions for inducting them as investors in domestic green bond issuance
- Relaying feedback on green bond guidelines to SEBI
- Leading seminars and round table discussions on deepening markets for green bonds. For example, a round table event on “Green Bond as a new source of funding” was organized on April 28, 2016 at NSE premises in collaboration with Climate Bonds Initiative, FICCI, GII, UNEP Inquiry and USAID.
Has SME listing platform
- NSE India Emerge, since 2012
- The quarterly briefing of the Centre for Excellence in Corporate Governance NSE India has put immense focus on issues around Inclusion - Gender Equality & Women on Boards; they host ‘Balini’ on Women’s day to encourage women inclusion and appreciation in Financial Services. NSE India has 33% women employees on its role.
- NSE has an Environmental Policy for its company and subsidiaries.
Organizational model of stock exchange
- Demutualized for profit
Limited Exchange Self-Regulatory Organization (SRO) Model
- The responsibility of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) is to protect the interests of investors and regulate the securities market. The National Stock Exchange of India appears to have regulatory authority limited to stock exchange membership and limited market surveillance.
About the stock exchange
Location: Mumbai, India
- The National Stock Exchange (NSE) is India's leading stock exchange covering various cities and towns across the country. NSE was set up by leading institutions to provide a modern, fully automated screen-based trading system with national reach. The Exchange has brought about unparalleled transparency, speed & efficiency, safety and market integrity. It has set up facilities that serve as a model for the securities industry in terms of systems, practices and procedures. NSE has played a catalytic role in reforming the Indian securities market in terms of microstructure, market practices and trading volumes. (Source)
|Ownership of Exchange (Shares >4% only)||Share|