Number of listed companies
Domestic market capitalization
SSE Partner Exchange
Has annual sustainability report
Requires ESG reporting as a listing rule
- B3 recommended as of 2012 that listed companies state in item 7.8 of the Reference Form (“Description of the company’s relevant long-term relationships not elsewhere described”), whether they publish a Regular Sustainability or Integrated Reports and where it is available, or if not explain why. (Source)
- As of 2016, the Brazilian Regulator will turn the Report or Explain into a specific item to address environmental and social issues in its reference form to all listed companies. (Source: B3)
- In 2017, B3 launched the "Report or Explain for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) initiative", which aims to stimulate the transparency of the listed companies' strategies and actions in relation to the 17 UN-established SDGs. In 2017, B3 launched the "Report or Explain for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) initiative", which aims to stimulate the transparency of the listed companies' strategies and actions in relation to the 17 UN-established SDGs.Through this initiative, the company recommends, from 2017, that listed companies annually state whether they publish a sustainability or integrated report taking the SDGs into account. Along similar lines with the previous initiative, if they do not, B3 requests they explain why by choosing one of the options supplied. (Source)
Has written guidance on ESG reporting
- Novo Valor Corporate Sustainability-Second Edition (2016; first edition released in 2011);
- Sustainability Guide for closed capital companies (in Portuguese);
- Sustainability Business Opportunities in the Intermediation Industry;
- Additional Guidance on the Corporate Governance of State Run Companies through The Corporate Governance Program for State Run Companies
Offers ESG related training
- Integration of ESG issues to education through the B3 Institute of Education
Has sustainability-related indices
- Corporate Sustainability Index (ISE)
- Carbon Efficient Index (ICO2)
- Special Corporate Governance Stock Index (IGCX)
- Corporate Governance Trade Index (IGCT)
- Novo Mercado Corporate Governance Equity Index (IGC-NM)
- Special Tag-Along Stock Index (ITAG)
- Besides the indices, B3 has a couple Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) that focus on sustainability as well.
Has sustainability bond listing segment
Has SME listing platform
- BOVESPA MAIS, since 2005
- B3’s Sustainability Policy
- SOE Governance Program in place since May 2017.
- B3 included sustainability criteria in the Exchange’s Operational Qualification Program (PQO). PQO certifies the quality of services offered by the brokerage houses, enabling and strengthening these institutions both as institutions/companies and as inter-mediation industry participants. The institutions certified by the PQO receive the right to use Qualification Seals, which are a declaration to investors and the general public of the high standard of institutions’ inter-mediation products and services.
- The exchange runs the B3 Social, created to coordinate its social investment projects. One of the most important projects of B3 Social is the Social-Environmental Investment Exchange (BVSA). BVSA is a pioneering initiative created by B3 in 2003 with the support of brokers. It is a fundraising platform with a format similar to a stock exchange. As of 2016 BVSA adopted the 5 Ps (People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace and Partnership) to reflect the new Sustainable Development Goals, as a selection criteria for listed projects.
- B3 has been making inventory of its greenhouse gas emissions since 2009 (Source). Since 2010 it has been audited externally and the document has been included in the Public Registry of the Brazil GHG Protocol Program. The inventory is a prerequisite to participate to ICO2. Also, the Exchange compensates its emissions that cannot be reduced, since 2013, when it offset the GHG emissions from 2011 and 2012. Since then, this process has been annual.
- B3 has answered the CDP annual climate change questionnaire since 2009 and is a member of the Advisory Board of CDP Latin America. (Source)
- B3 became the first stock exchange in the world to adhere to the Global Compact in 2004, and it is a member of the Compact's Brazilian Committee. It was the first exchange in any emerging market country to commit officially to the Principles of Responsible Investment (PRI) in 2010; became a founding signatory to the Sustainable Stock Exchanges initiative in 2012; and is a member of the WFE's Sustainability Working Group since 2014. B3 is also a member of the GRI Brazil Advisory Group and member of the Network of Leading Brazilian Women for Sustainability of the Brazilian Environment Ministry. (Source)
- Results from the "Report or Explain for Sustainability or Integrated Reports: A Brazilian Success Story"
Organizational model of stock exchange
Listed company for profit; demutualized in 2007
Limited Exchange Self-Regulatory Organization (SRO) Model
- B3's organization and operations are subject to direct oversight from the CVM. We are a market operator and operator of clearing houses that, in such capacity, act as a self-regulatory and market surveillance organization, responsible for monitoring and overseeing market participants and the transactions carried out on our markets. Our self-regulatory and market surveillance arm is B3 Market Surveillance (BSM), which maintains close relationships with the regulators, in particular the Central Bank and the CVM. It is also responsible for keeping the CVM abreast of market developments and providing the market regulator with periodic reports of its market surveillance operations. Activities involving clearing and settlement services, which we provide through our four clearing facilities are subject to the regulatory and oversight authority of both the CVM and the Central Bank.
About the stock exchange
Location: São Paulo, Brazil.
- B3 S.A. – Brasil, Bolsa, Balcão is one of the world’s largest financial market infrastructure providers by market value. The services it offers range from exchange trading, clearing and other post-trade services to the registration of over-the-counter (OTC) transactions and of vehicle and real estate loans.
- B3 was established in March 2017 when the securities, commodities and futures exchange activities of BM&FBOVESPA were combined with the activities of Cetip, a provider of financial services for the organized OTC market. This combination consolidated the Company’s position as a financial market infrastructure and enabled it to extend the range of services and products offered to customers while creating efficiencies for the Company and for the market.
- In the markets for exchange-traded products, B3 develops, implements and operates trading and post-trading (clearing and settlement) systems and services for equities, equity, financial and commodity derivatives, bonds, federal government debt securities, spot currencies and agricultural commodities. It provides a listing service and acts as central securities depository (CSD) for the assets traded in its environments. It also offers software and index licensing services. Its operations in these markets require constant investment in technological infrastructure, as well as control and management of the risks inherent in these activities in order to ensure they operate efficiently and securely.
- For unlisted products traded bilaterally on the OTC market, such as financial instruments issued by banks and customized derivatives, B3 offers the infrastructure for registration of these trades by market participants.
- In addition, through its vehicle and real estate financing unit, the Company offers products and services that streamline local credit analysis and approval, making access to secured loans easier, faster and safer.
- Alongside its operational, technological and risk management excellence, B3 also boosts the dynamics of the markets it manages by means of innovation and product development, as well as educational programs for the general public.
- B3 is a public company traded under ticker symbol BVMF3 on the Novo Mercado premium listing segment for companies committed to the highest standards of corporate governance. Its stock is tracked by the Ibovespa, IBrX-50, IBrX and Itag indices, among others.
- The Company is headquartered in São Paulo and has units in Rio de Janeiro and Alphaville, Brazil. It also has representative offices in New York (USA), London (UK) and Shanghai (China) to support local market participants in activities with foreign customers and relations with regulators, and to disseminate its products and governance practices to potential investors.
|Ownership of Exchange (Shares >4% only)||Share|
|Oppenheimer funds Inc.||10.44%|
|Vontolbel Asset Management Inc.||6.84%|
|CMEG Brasil I Participacoes Ltda||5.32%|